FREE Mental Health Screening
What happens next?
HomeA Father's Plea for HelpWhat is a screen?How can this help?Start with the Quick Screen!Adult FormsChild or Adolescent FormsDownload the formsFinding HelpPresently Being Treated?Before Your First AppointmentFAQViolence AssessmentPrecautionsLegal DisclaimerCopyright InformationEmail Feedback

    How do you find a Health Professional to help you?

  • Your primary care provider can be an initial source of help. This might be a Medical Doctor (MD, DO), a Nurse Practitioner (MHNP, FNP), or a Physician Assistant (PA). They can diagnose problems and prescribe medications. They may refer you to a specialist if necessary.
  •  Professionals who specialize in mental health include Psychologists (PhD), Social Workers (MSW), Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC), and Marriage and Family Counselors (MFC). These professionals are involved primarily in counseling and testing. They may refer you back to your primary care provider or to a psychiatrist if medications appear to be indicated.
  • Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in mental health issues. They have the most extensive training in the treatment of mental health conditions and in prescribing appropriate drugs when needed. Psychiatrists are in short supply in most areas so the wait time for an appointment can range from weeks to months.
  •  There are also private and public psychiatric hospitals and mental health centers where help may be available.
  •  Most states have publically supported mental health clinics.
  •  The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) will be able to assist you in finding services. Most larger cities have local offices you can call. There is a link to the NAMI website below.


Copyright ©1989-2007 AMLLC All Rights Reserved.

"You obtain the best treatment by developing a cooperative relationship with your health professional."